Strategy: Use questions to keep the conversation open and free-flowing.
General questions to discover the needs, motivation and desires of the prospect will aid in the sales process. At this point, your objective is to gain as much information as possible. Use questions that do not limit your client’s response. Keep the questions open in nature. Stay with the W questions or Tell Me questions.
- What are you looking for?
- Why do you need it now?
- Where else have you been looking?
- When do you need it?
- Tell me a little about what you are looking for.
- Tell me about your buying procedures.
- Tell me what you want, when, and why.
- Tell me what you want, and what we could do to seal a deal today.
Strategy: Make a purpose statement to control the direction of the discussion.
Purpose statements direct the conversation in a specific direction. Through purpose statements, you can control the sales cycle and process.
- I am here to….
- I would like to offer you the best deal in town….
- I am calling you to give you the deal of a lifetime….
- The reason we are here today is to discuss….
- Our agenda for today is to….
- We will specifically discuss….
- I am from XYZ to review….